Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Readings on ANGEL and some other stuff...

I've posted the assigned chapters of next week's readings on ANGEL. Please either print them out or bring your laptop to class next week so you have the readings in front of you to reference.

As a side note, I'm using the third edition because it was the only one available at the library.

Next Thursday we will be reading oral histories as well. This would be a good time to incorporate that workshop I was referring to for conducting research interviews. If you are interested in doing interviews as a part of your research, please plan to attend.

I'd like to thank all of you that have been attending classes regularly despite the early hour, dreary weather, and lack of attendance policy. Your continued participation will undoubtedly reflect the quality of work that you continue to do for this class. I thought that the small workshop today went really well and I'm glad to see we have a community of researchers interested in their project!

The blogs are looking fantastic as well! You guys have done a great job keeping them updated and keeping up with everyone's posts. I've seen some really great suggestions and stories so far and I'm looking forward to continuing to read them! If you haven't been writing as much as you think you should, I'd encourage you just to write a few things every few days. You do not need to make grandiose entries (it's a blog, not a book!) and feel free to write about anything you find, need help with, think, etc.

On a final history related note, my uncle just gave me several photo albums that my grandmother had put together when she was younger. She passed away in 1990 and I just now discovered that these were in our family's possession! There are two full albums that document her life growing up in a coal mining town in Western PA. I'm in the process of digitizing them for our family, so here are a few pictures:

My grandmother and her brother posing in rather fancy clothes behind their not-so-fancy house.

Mickey Sullivan Picture of my grandfather(left) before he was married to my grandmother.

Oliphant Team Oliphant Baseball Team (my grandfather played for them).

The actual town is called Oliphant Furnace and is located in Western Pennsylvania. It was a small mining community based around the cokeworks. Talk about a mining community - they even had "furnace" in their town name!

Thanks for letting me share a bit of family history!

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thats so cool of you to post these pictures of your family! I love seeing pictures in black and white! Thanks for sharing Micalee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are so sweet. The style back then with the clothing was legit. Where did you find these pics? On the web?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are from my family's photo albums. I just found out a few weeks ago that they were in my family's possession still. My grandmother was quite the stylish dresser - even during the Depression!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cool!

    ReplyDelete